No. If you are a current and active substitute you do not need to re-apply as there is an expectation of work every school year.
Q. If I'm currently a substitute for TCSD, but have been inactive for over a year, do I need to re-apply?
Yes, substitutes who have not been active for over a year are automatically separated from employment. You will need to re-apply and go through the Application and Hiring Process.
Q. If I am a retired teacher, do I need to interview and take the training in order to be a guest teacher?
Everyone must be interviewed and complete the SubEssentials Introductory Course. The Intro to Guest Teaching class is required for new hire paperwork submission and procedure review. The annual district SafeSchools training is required every school year. Tooele Valley guest teachers must take the SubSkills Training Course (optional for licensed teachers), attend the New Hire Orientation and the Guest Teacher Workshop.
Q. Where do I learn all the steps that are required to apply and work as a guest teacher?
Please visit the Application & Hiring Process
page.Q. Where do I learn all the steps that are required to apply and work as a non-teacher substitute?
- STEDI SubEssentials: 60-90 minutes (All guest teacher applicants only)
- STEDI SubSkills Online Training: 8-10 hours (Guest Teachers only - Training Optional for currently licensed teachers)
- Intro to Guest Teaching Class: 2.5-3 hours
- On-site District New Hire Orientation: 3 hours (All newly hired employees are paid for attendance)
- On-site Workshop: 8 hours depending on group size (Guest teachers are paid for attendance)
- Annual SafeSchools Video Training: Approximately 3 hours (All employees in the district - yearly requirement)
Q. How quickly can I begin working as a non-teacher substitute?
Once you are fingerprinted and submit completed paperwork, processing will take 1-2 business days. You will receive email notifications once cleared to work. You can begin working upon receiving these emails
Q. How quickly can I begin working as a guest teacher?
Guest teachers can begin working upon completing the pre-employment Application & Hiring Process steps. The timeline for being cleared to work is determined by how quickly the guest teacher can complete the required training courses. Being cleared to work can take approximately 1-2 weeks. Certified teachers may begin working sooner based on certain criteria determined by Human Resources.
- Wendover, Ibapah, Vernon, and Dugway area guest teachers must get fingerprinted, take the SubEssentials Introductory Course and submit completed paperwork before being able to work as a guest teacher.
Q. How much will I make working as a guest teacher?
Guest teachers are paid for (4) hours - half day or (7.5) hours - full day. Anything under (4) hours is paid at (4) hours. Anything over (4) hours is paid at (7.5) hours.
- High School Graduate: $75.00/day - 10.00/hour for (4) hours or (7.5) hours.
- College Degree Associate or Bachelor: $85.00 per day - $11.33/hour for (4) hours or (7.5) hours.
- Certified, Retired, Masters Degree: $95.00 per day - $12.67/hour
- Wendover/Ibapah Area & Dugway Guest Teachers: $14.67/hour for (4) hours or (7.5) hours.
- Long-term Substitute: Assignments of over 40 consecutive days paid an increased amount of $30.00/hour for (4) hours or (7.5) hours. On day 41 the increased pay takes effect retroactive to day one of the assignment. Long-term assignments are paid at a higher rate due to increased responsibility and requirements. Once the long-term assignment is completed, the guest teacher reverts back to the standard pay rate schedule as shown above.
Q. How much will I make working as a non-teacher substitute?
- Bus Attendant Substitute: $10.00/hour
- Bus Driver Substitute: $17.23/hour
- Cook Substitute: $10.00/hour
- Custodian Substitute: $10.00/hour
- Secretary Substitute: $10.00/hour
Q. How much can I expect to work as a substitute?
All Tooele County substitutes are considered seasonal, on-call employees. There is no guarantee on how often a substitute will work. However, building relationships with administrators, managers, teachers and other staff, having a good work ethic and positive track record while on assignment leaves an impression which may result in being added to "Preferred" lists. Being on "Preferred" lists allows substitutes to see assignments more quickly which may result in increased work opportunities. A substitute may also get a personal request to sub.
Q. How will I know when an assignment is available?
We utilize a program from Frontline Education called Absence Management System - AMS (formerly known as Aesop). When an employee is going to be absent they input their absence in AMS. All substitutes get their own AMS website where absences can be seen and substitutes can accept or decline the work. AMS is also used to keep records of all absences worked by the substitute. AMS can be accessed by phone and internet 24/7.
Any absence left unfilled zero to two days out will initiate AMS to call available substitutes to see if they wish to work.
Q. For what schools, grade levels and classes will I be expected to sub? How do I choose my assignments?
AMS has a function where substitutes can choose the schools where they wish to work. Any assignments within those schools will be posted on AMS for the substitute to view and either accept or decline; therefore, the choice is left to the substitute.
Q. If I am an existing guest teacher, can I sign up for any of the STEDI training courses?
Yes, you can sign up for online training at any time, but please be aware there may be a cost which is at your expense. If you decide to take the training, providing a copy of your completion certificates can help qualify you for our district preferred list.
Q. If I am a guest teacher and am later hired as a regular teacher, can I get reimbursed for training costs?
No. Even if you later become a regular teacher you will not be reimbursed for the substitute training costs. Consider this Professional Development for your new job.
Q. Who do I talk to if I am having issues with the STEDI website?