A federally funded program providing American Indians in Tooele School District quality education.
Beginning in the 1950's many American Indian families moved to urban areas and Indian students attended public schools. Consequently, public schools became a venue of serving a large number of Native students. Legislation in 1972 created the Indian Education Act. As a result of American Indians actively promoting self-determination.
The federal government recognized that it had a special responsibility through historical treaty rights to ensure that educational programs for all American Indian and Alaska Native children be responsive to the needs, and under the direction of Indian people themselves.
Therefore, the Office of Indian Education under the United States Department of Education was created to address the needs of American Indian students at public schools.
Tooele School District has approximately 180 identified American Indian students representing 34 different tribes.
Title VI Objectives:
- Provide Monthly Cultural Nights to promote family and community togetherness activities to learn of Native American customs, crafts, and music.
- Tutoring students who need reinforcement in reading and math skills
- Recognize and honor students who are excelling and making academic achievement.
- Monitoring high school students and assist in meeting graduation requirements.
- Provide information on availability of scholarships and financial aid.
A 506 Eligibility Form (attached below) needs to be completed for a student to acknowledge American Indian descendancy. This form needs to be filled out only once, it will then stay with the student's school records. The number of forms determines the funds the district is eligible to receive.
The purpose of the parent committee is to provide overall advise, guidance, and help in planning and developing our Title VI program to meet the educational and culturally related academic needs of the Title VI students.
1. Beginning-of-Year PAC Meeting to be held Tuesday, September 7th @ 5:30 - 6:30 PM (Location: Student Services Center, 555 E. Vine St., Tooele)
2. Middle-of-Year PAC Meeting to be held....TBD
3. End-of-Year PAC Meeting to be held .... TBD
Follow us on Facebook
@ TCSD Native American Title VI
for information on events, scholarships, and more!