Blue Peak Online and My Tech High-Tooele
Special Education Services
Special Education Staff:
IEP = Individualized Education Plan
Special Education Vision and Hearing Screening
1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month
Screenings conducted in the Adult Education Lab
211 S. Tooele Blvd., Tooele, UT 84074
Screenings are done by appointment only
Appointments are scheduled through Blue Peak Online Special Education Staff
Special Education Policies,
Procedures & Services
- Planned absences should be reported 24 hours in advance to each special education provider scheduled. We understand that unforeseen circumstances arise such as illness or emergencies, but ask that you please notify your child’s teacher(s) as soon as possible if your child will be absent.
- Absence must be excused by the parent/guardian within 3 school days of any absence by emailing or calling their teacher for the following reasons: illness, medical or dental appointments, funerals, half day for driver’s license acquisition, or emergencies (which are in accordance with Utah State Law). An absence can be excused at any time within the current school year term if a doctor’s note is provided which indicated the dates the student should not/could not be in attendance for school.
- An “unexcused absence” will indicate that the parent reported that the student will be absent from classes for reasons that do not meet the criteria for an excused absence: i.e., slept in, needed at home, out of town (unless prior approved), shopping, etc.
- Students will be marked with an “unexcused absence” if the teacher has waited for them to join their online class after 10 minutes without prior notice. Within the 10 minutes students will be marked tardy.
- Should siblings have classes back to back, if the first student scheduled is more than 10 minutes late from class, the teacher will assume the second sibling will also be absent unless otherwise notified. When given prior notice that the second student will be in class, the teacher will join zoom at their scheduled time. Parents are responsible for notifying teachers of absences for all siblings.
- After two weeks of consecutive absences, Blue Peak Online will notify My Tech High of the absences and My Tech High’s attendance policy will take effect.
- Should a provider be absent, classes will be rescheduled, a substitute will be made available or virtual substitute plans will be provided and expected to be complete.
- Special Education services follow Tooele County School District’s calendar found here.
Special Education Evaluations
- All special education evaluations will be held at Blue Peak Online at 211 Tooele Boulevard, Tooele, UT 84074
- Parents are responsible for transporting their student in order for these standardized assessments to be given with fidelity. Some assessments will be given virtually but proctored in person at Blue Peak Online.
- Parents have the right to request an evaluation by contacting the special education department at Blue Peak Online.
- Your procedural safeguards can be found here. Please contact a member of the special education staff with any questions.
- Special education services will be provided according to student’s IEP's.
- Classes will be held virtually with groups of 1-5 students. Unless the student requires 1:1 services as documented in their IEP, students may be provided services with other students.
- We ask that students not log on for services more than 5 minutes prior to their scheduled class as teachers are meeting with other students.
- A member of the special education team will be contacting you when it is time to schedule a new IEP or evaluation for your student. If you ever want to meet to go over concerns, questions or to discuss adjusting your child’s IEP, please contact your child’s special education You are a vital part of the IEP team.
Technology & Materials
- Academic services are provided through Zoom, a virtual meeting service. Personal meeting IDs are individual to each provider. Class meeting IDs will remain the same throughout the year for each teacher.
- If you do not have a zoom account, click here to set up a FREE account!
- Zoom support and tutorials can be found here.
- IEP meetings will have individual meeting IDs to ensure These will be sent prior to the IEP meeting.
- Students have access to a tooeleschools.org email address, resources through Office 365 as well as google suite resources. (gmail, googlechat, and google hangouts have been disabled for student safety and security reasons).
- Students must follow Tooele County School District’s Acceptable Use Policy.
- Students need to be seated upright at a desk or table in a quiet room free from distractions. Headphones are highly encouraged.
- Student microphones and cameras need to be working properly and turned on for the duration of classes.
- Students need access to pencil/paper or a personal whiteboard during class.
- Most of assigned academic homework and classwork will be done via googleclassroom and googledrive.
- Every student will be provided their personal login and password – passwords are not to be changed.
- Parents and students should check classroom pages weekly to monitor missing work.
- Students are able to comment on class announcements, but are not able to post their own information for security and confidentiality purposes. Please email your teacher with any questions.
- Homework is minimal, but needs to be completed on time to ensure students have multiple opportunities for mastery.
- Tooele County School District contracts with outside virtual providers for related services such as speech-language therapy, occupational therapy, etc.
- For the 2019-2020 school year, Presence Learning will be the outside virtual provider for these services. Please attend to their policies and procedures.
- https://www.interventioncentral.org This is a fantastic website that parents, teachers and administrators can use to address unique student needs.
- Special Education Teacher Assistance Teams (STAT)-
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."